1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper. Taking a gift out of a bag, while it can be beautiful, is not as satisfying as ripping the paper off. Besides, I loooove wrapping presents. I love trying to figure out how I’m going to wrap the presents each year – picking out the paper, name tags, ribbon, etc.
2. Real tree or artificial?
Real. I just wish you could buy them pre-lit like an artificial tree. I always end up losing it about halfway through putting the lights on.
3. When do you put up the tree?
It seems it’s become a regular thing in our house to put up the tree the first weekend in December. I think we’ll continue it.
4. When do you take the tree down?
Chris wants it to stay up until the 12 days of Christmas are over (The Epiphany, January 6th). I want it down by the new year. I think it’s been sometime inbetween every year.
5. Do you like eggnog?
Yes, but I’ve never had it with alcohol.
6. Favorite gift received?
Well, the car is our Christmas, so…
7. Do you have a nativity scene?
No, but I’d love to have one. My parents have a small nativity scene (it’s actually from Bethlehem) that’s wooden. I’d love to have one that looked similar to theirs.
8. Hardest person to buy for?
9. Easiest person to buy for?
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Sweatpants that were about a kajillion sizes too big. Gee, thanks, did I really look THAT big to them?
11. Do you have a favorite ornament on your tree?
12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
When I was a kid, The Grinch or Charlie Brown Christmas. Now, I love It’s a Wonderful Life. It doesn’t seem like Christmas if I don’t see each of them at least once. The Grinch is coming on tonight!
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Not that I can recall. Doesn’t really seem like something I’d do.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
17. Favorite Christmas song?
Religious – “Silent Night” Secular – “It’s Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas”
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Growing up, my family was always overseas, so we stayed at home. This year, we’re going to spend it with my family. The only thing that bothers me about that is that we can’t give Cate’s dollhouse to her on Christmas day. It was supposed to be from Santa Claus, but it won’t fit in our car along with all the other things we need to bring. I’m so sad about it, even though I know spending Christmas with family is really the more important thing.
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?
Yes. But is is “Donner” or “Donder”? I’ve seen and heard both.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Chris wants and angel but we can’t find one that we both like, so until we do, we have a bow, which is what we always had on my tree growing up.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning of Christmas?
Maybe one on Christmas Eve. The rest in the morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
Sales people, though I can certainly sympathize. I’ve been on the other side of it for several holiday seasons. Customers can really be awful.
23. Does Santa leave gifts wrapped or unwrapped?
Wrapped, although the stuff that’s too big would be left unwrapped.
24. Do you leave cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve?
Yes, and when I was growing up we also left cheese for the Christmas mouse. Don’t laugh. It was in a book we read.
25. What’s your favorite Christmas memory?
I don’t know if there’s been ONE but I remember going to see The Nutcracker ballet with my mom when we were in Japan one year. We went on the 23rd, and it really put me in a holiday mood.
Cassandra, Sara, you wanna do this next?